Saturday, February 4, 2017

The Best Part of Super Bowl Sunday

  With Super bowl Sunday coming up, I can't help but be excited.  I'm not as concerned with the game as I am with the food.  I know that we'll be munching on all of our favorite comfort foods at my friend Ashley's shindig.  I'll be bringing buffalo chicken wings, and Jessie will be making macaroni and cheese.  Ashley said she'll be making nachos with all different kinds of toppings.  I'm sure that Joe will concoct his famous chili because it's his favorite.  I'm hoping for many other treats, too.  I've been dieting for two weeks just so I can pig out while we watch the game.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!




VOCABULARY:
Super bowl:  (n.) last game of American football season where the two top teams compete to win
concerned:  (adj.)  worried about; thinking about
munch on:  (v.) eat
shindig:  (n.) party
topping:  (n.) small extra pieces of food added on top of the base food
concoct:  (v.) make; put together
pig out:  (v.) eat a lot

VOCABULARY EXERCISE:
Write the vocabulary word that is best described by each word or description below.

1. gathering of friends  _________________
2. chew  _________________
3. overeat  _________________
4. sport competition  ______________________
5. interested  _________________
6. small bits not usually eaten alone  _________________
7. create  __________________

GRAMMAR POINT:
In English, contractions are words that are formed by combining two words by omitting certain letters and replacing them with an apostrophe ( ' ) to create the same meaning.  For example, "I'm" is the contraction of "I am."

GRAMMAR ACTIVITY:
Locate the contraction in the text for each of the two-word combinations below.

1. Can not __________________
2. I am   __________________
3. We will   __________________
4. I will   __________________
5. She will   __________________
6. It is   __________________
7. I have   __________________

2 comments:

  1. I thought this post was highly engaging, so I can only imagine how engaged a student would be! Your writing is very relatable and easy to read. This would be something that students would not only learn from, but enjoy reading. Adding a video was also a really good idea because it will motivate students even more. Lastly, I like how your grammar activity made students go back into the text after learning the grammar point. This is a good idea because they apply what they learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy appetizers in your entry and the video! I think you have a good ability to combine many elements, including multimedia, to make a good blog.

    ReplyDelete